Friday, June 20, 2014

Happy 1st Anniversary Sociologist's Dojo!

      I can't believe that it has already been a year since I started this blog.  Looking back I chuckle a bit in reminiscence because part of the reason  I started this blog was due to my intense, visceral reaction to watching Man of Steel.  Now, a year later, Zack Snyder  in his continual pursuit of the Mutually Assured Destruction of both superheroes and the art form of film is writing and directing Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice ( yes, that really is the title. No, it is not a joke.) that is a not so subtle reference to the next proposed film Justice League which Snyder will also helm.  So the next year (or so) is going to be a little rough as more about these films bubble to the surface.  However, luckily we will have the marvel movies like Guardians of the Galaxy

and Interstellar To tide us over.



As this is the first anniversary of my blog I would like to give a brief list of things that you can expect on the site in the next year.


1) More posts....pretty self explanatory  (minimum of 3 a month)
2)  Each post will be more detailed with deeper sociological analysis and the use of more videos
3) Analysis of comic books worthy of the Sociological lens
4) I will continue "The Films of Christopher Nolan" segment until he stops making films or I die. ( I am planning my analytical viewing of The Prestige very soon).
5) More posts about the Martial arts as it does or does not relate to pop culture. 

Finally there are two new continuous segments that I will be implementing in the next couple of months:

    1) My Formative films. This is a segment where I review important films of my childhood that shaped my identity. I will include both sociological analysis, personal significance, historical and cultural context.

    2) Analysis of Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra (TV series) In my drive to focus on more martial arts stuff in the next year a person can't get any better melding of all the things this blog is about (films, pop culture, sociological analysis, gender studies, race and ethnicity, martial arts) in one place.  These are amazing shows and need to be celebrated. But a word of warning DO NOT SEE THE MOVIE The Last Airbender. It is a taint on the show. Pretend it doesn't exist.   If I just brought it to your attention I am sorry.

So I hope to get more viewers in the next year and I hope not to disappoint anyone...least of all myself :)

Here's to another great year of passionate social analysis of pop culture!